NAME AND ADDRESS
- The name of the organisation shall be STANDING COMMITTEE OF TAMIL
SPEAKING PEOPLE (hereinafter referred to as SCOT).
- The registered address of SCOT shall be in the United Kingdom
- The primary object of SCOT shall be the relief of poverty and social upliftment of
Tamil speaking people.
- In furtherance of the primary object and in addition thereto SCOT will:
- organise and implement or assist in the organisation and implementation of
such economic projects as may be deemed necessary,
- assist the needy and poor Tamil speaking people by creating economic and
employment opportunities and by providing financial assistance for selfemployment ventures,
- assist in housing the homeless and rehabilitate displaced people in areas
where their security is assured,
- provide relief to Tamil refugees who suffer or have suffered loss or damage
to their property in situations of disasters,
- assist in the provision or improvement of educational opportunities to poor
school going children,
- promote social and cultural awareness and togetherness within the Tamil
community living in the United Kingdom,
- promote the recognition of human rights, inter-racial justice and equality,
- promote inter-racial, inter-ethnic relations and exchanges among the
various communities living in the United Kingdom and
- endeavour to establish or secure the establishment of a Centre and maintain
or manage or cooperate with any Local Authority or any other body in the
maintenance and management of such a Centre to enable members of
SCOT to meet together in a common place so as to enable activities
initiated or promoted by SCOT to be carried out effectively.
- In furtherance of the aforementioned objects SCOT may
- raise funds and seek and receive contributions from any person or persons
or body or bodies by way of subscriptions, grants or donations PROVIDED
SCOT shall not undertake trading or commercial activities the primary aim
of which is profit.
- collect information on all matters relevant or concerning the said objects
and exchange such information among members and other bodies having
similar objects within or outside the United Kingdom.
- do all things as are necessary for the attainment of the aforesaid objects
provided they may lawfully be undertaken by a body established for
charitable purposes only.
- All persons and organisations who subscribe to the objects of SCOT shall be
eligible for Membership.
- Members shall pay an annual subscription as may be prescribed from time to time
at the Annual General Meeting. Membership subscription shall be paid in advance
monthly, quarterly, Half-yearly or annually.
- An organisation which seeks membership shall apply in writing with an entry fee
and subsequent annual subscription as may be prescribed from time to time at
the Annual General Meeting.
- Each organisation admitted to membership (hereinafter referred to as the
?constituent Organisation) shall be represented by a named delegate nominated
by the constituent organisation, such nomination being notified in writing to the
General Secretary at least 28 days before the Annual General Meeting.
- Any constituent organisation which fails to pay the prescribed subscription in the
manner herein provided, and any member who is in arrears of subscription for a
period of three months consecutively shall be deemed to have lost membership
- The General Council shall have power to approve or reject applications for
membership, and for good and sufficient reasons terminate the membership of an
individual or constituent organisation provided that the individual member or
constituent organisation shall have the right to be heard by the General Council
before a final decision is made.